Saturday, September 18, 2010

Amusement or Entertainment

An opinion:

God's people need times of release. The good times promoted by others through music or drama, or just friendships, and good works, in church or out, we can call entertainment. I think entertainment can be a needed diversion from the seriousness of living in this day. When I watch tennis or do something I consider entertaining, I am always aware of my circumstance, and that of the world around me. I just choose to focus on something else for a short while.

Amusement is something different. To amuse is to cause to lose focus on the true. Similar words are gape, idle, absorb thoughts. If I am being amused by some one, that one is in some way in charge of my mind. Amusement carries the sense of losing ones responsibility for a time. I want nothing to do with that.

No comments: